Friday, August 28, 2026

Tomatoes!

I started Juliet (above) and Stupice (not shown) tomatoes indoors. The Juliet are resilient, and I'm harvesting every other day. The Stupice have struggled in the extreme heat and drought. But I'm making meals out of the Juliet grape tomatoes. I have grown a lot of paste tomatoes in the past, but they get ripe all at once. I like the cherry and grape tomatoes because I can collect some for a meal, and then wait a few days for the next meal. Less pressure to keep up!
Above is Chocolate Sprinkles, which was one friend's favorite. Below is Pink Gal, a pink tomato. How cool is that!
I wasn't sure if I was going to get any tomatoes after I dropped the seedlings this spring indoors, and then the cutworms ate some soon after planting, and one plant just completely disappeared (bird? squirrel? alien?). I'm glad I bought a few plants, which were big enough that the cutworms left them alone. Even though it's a little more prone to disease, the Golden Boy is a prolific slicer that is absolutely delicious on a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment