Tuesday, August 20, 2024

"Fall" Planting of Greens

This bed is looking sad after I harvested the garlic and most of the lettuce. I dumped some finished compost in the middle of it to prepare for my favorite cooler season vegetables--kohlrabi, kale, bok choy, and lettuce. 
Because I've had a problem with seeds getting eaten before or during germination, I started the seeds and kept them on the back deck. Then I transplanted them into the bed. I measured so that they will fit under my cold frame. We will get cold weather, so I want to be prepared. Below you'll see the bed is mulched with dried grass clippings, sprinkled with cayenne pepper, and surrounded by netting. What you can't see is that I put some slug granules outside the garden bed. If we have a dry spell, the slugs are attracted to wherever I water. I'll update this blog on my success (or failure) later.



No comments:

Post a Comment