Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Renewing the Strawberry Patch

The strawberry plants are doing well...too well. They have overtaken their space, and, while they look healthy and lush, the plants in back weren't producing many strawberries this year (or maybe the bunnies got them first). Can you see the four stepping stones? Nope. I'm doing this now because we have a few cool mornings, and I read that strawberries prepare for spring fruit in September. I don't know if it's true or not, but this gives them enough time to put down some roots.
I carefully removed plants from the edge, which are newer, setting them in the shade in some water. Then I hacked away at the rest, removing many runners, too. They made quite the pile (above). I added compost to the old plants and the cleared portion (on the right in the photo below). I re-planted the saved plants, laid some paper down for a path, topped the paper with stepping stones, and mulched with some fresh grass clippings. If the transplants make it, I'll be happy. If they don't, I can order some new bareroot plants in spring.  



No comments:

Post a Comment