Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Mistake Or Two


After I got home today, I took a look at the flower pots in front of the house. Why did they look so limp? Dumb me. Even though the garden has had plenty of water with our excessive rain lately, the pots had dried out in the heat. (Yes, heat. What an odd summer.) I gave them a nice long drink of water, and I set the watering can near the front door so I won't forget tomorrow. Will my plants survive? I hope so. But this is the second time I've forgotten to water the pots this summer.

So why would I, a garden writer, admit to such sad mistakes? It's because sometimes I watch the garden superstars and get discouraged. They don't make mistakes (at least that viewers are allowed to see). Since everything looks so good on tv, I feel like I could never compete, so why bother trying? The point of gardening is that I like to do it, and I will make mistakes since I am only human. My garden may never look like the cover of a magazine, but I've been eating fresh produce for months, and fresh flowers grace my kitchen table.

No comments:

Post a Comment