Thursday, April 8, 2010

Product Tests and Book Review


I am testing "potato bags," a soft circular bag that claims to have excellent drainage in order to grow potatoes. When I was in England, I picked up some gardening magazines and they were very popular in the ads. One mag tested the product and said it worked well. I've bought the American equivalent and I'll give it a test.

Have you seen the new DK book, The Kitchen Garden? It's a beautiful book and fun to look through. However, the information is not accurate for the Minnesota climate. That's not to say that some of the information cannot be applied here; it's just that it shouldn't be the primary source for the zones 3 and 4 gardens. For example, the book says to harvest rhubarb in March. The only thing we harvest in March in Minnesota is snow (this spring being the exception).

Another garden item this spring is the Sun Chips compostable bag. I put it in one of my compost heaps March 15. I'll post what happens later.

No comments:

Post a Comment