Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Feeling Sad about Apples

I went outside yesterday to see how the apples and the cherry tree were doing. Earlier I thought they made it through the freeze just fine. After all, the blossoms seemed intact, even though all the petals feel to the ground soon afterward. I figured it was just their time to drop. But, doggone it, I don't think I'll have any tree fruit this year (at least at eye level). Thomas Jefferson once said, "Though I am an old man, I am but a young gardener." I understand how he feels. I thought I knew a lot, but I can't be sure that it's the frost that killed the blossoms. It could be something else, though the trees seem healthy otherwise. I wish I knew a way to protect the blossoms from the cold! What would I have done if I were a pioneer and depended on these apples trees as a source of food?

No comments:

Post a Comment