Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Should I plant tomatoes now?

While it is true that the nighttime temps are predicted to be in the 50s F in our area, here are a few things to consider before planting tomatoes and other warm weather crops. First, how wet is the soil? With all this rain, some yards are still mushy. If the soil is too wet, roots can rot. Second, how warm is the garden spot? Some places are very warm with a protected southern exposure; others are open and exposed. You could plant if the soil is warm, and you are confident that frost won't be coming around again. Third, do you have a protection system? This could be store-bought or homemade, but a cold frame or some other device to capture and keep heat can push the starting date of the season. At my house, I am not planting my tomatoes yet. I like to think of them as tropical plants, plants that love heat and humidity, and we just haven't had that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment