Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sweet Corn Experiment


My experiment with growing sweet corn in a pot is successful.  We ate several small but tasty ears of bicolor corn.  I started with a large growing bag (sized for potatoes) filled with compost.  Because the bag is made of black fabric, I had both an advantage with holding heat (from the black) and excellent drainage (from the fabric). I planted nine seeds per container.  Because of our cool, wet weather in the early spring I had to re-plant some seeds.  I added organic fertilizer about three times.  I watered faithfully, every day and sometimes twice a day.  (This is the disadvantage to excellent drainage.) The variety is On Deck Hybrid from Burpee, which is a supersweet hybrid.  The advertisement said that the ears would be 7-8 inches long, but mine were smaller, perhaps because we had cool weather while the ears were developing.  But they were delicious!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment