Saturday, July 4, 2020

Cutting back annuals



Should you cut back annuals? It depends on the plant. If it's getting "leggy" (a term that means the stems are long and floppy) or if it's stopped blossoming, then it can be good idea.



Above is the before photo. See how the center is green and the flowers are on the end of the stems? The stems were long, too. The plant is healthy now, but we're experiencing humid weather, so I thought I could give that plant some air circulation, too. The photo below is "after. I lost some flowers, but I cut back to where there was new growth, meaning I'll have more flowers soon. I also trimmed off some seed heads.

Below is what I removed. It's about 1/4 of the plants. I could have pruned more viciously, but I find I can't do it. Even a little bit helps. P. S. Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment