Friday, August 28, 2020

August Garden Update

A few weeks ago a strong thunderstorm knocked over all my tomato plants, mostly cherry tomatoes with four Roma type and one Cherokee Purple. They've been doing well. I have way too many cherry tomatoes because I didn't have the heart to compost all the extra plants that I started indoors. I've been cooking them into to sauce to freeze. They take longer to cook down because of all the juices, but they make a tasty sauce. Below is a ripe sweet pepper that I harvested yesterday. This spot has a lot more sun than my old place, so I was super happy to get this fully ripened pepper. I'm rationing it over two days to make it last. Next year I will plant more peppers...and fewer cherry tomatoes.

The fall greens are doing well..endive, assorted lettuces, and Swiss chard. The long dried stems are dill that I harvested and laid down between the rows to keep the rabbits out. Ha! I saw a rabbit nibbling on one, so I added the netting, which has worked well. Cooler weather is in the forecast, so I'm looking forward to getting some "heavy lifting" done this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment