Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Squash Vine Borers

This is the worst I've ever seen squash vine borers damage. I rotate crops, but this didn't stop them this year. I pulled up my zucchini (above) and pumpkin (below). I did plant a couple of pumpkins in the front yard in July. So far they look okay. 
You can see their signature damage below.
I'm going to have to --gasp!-- buy zucchini from the farmers' market. Next year I'll use floating row cover to protect the seeds, and I'll investigate the plants earlier in the season. For more information on how to prevent them, read this:  https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/squash-vine-borers The photo below is there to make me feel better. In this bed are tomatoes, peppers, alyssum, dill, and four kinds of basil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment