Thursday, September 24, 2009

First Days of Fall


Thirty quarts of tomatoes. That's what she canned. Not me. For anyone who has read my book, Grow It. Eat It., you have probably guessed that I don't like to can. I much prefer filling the freezer.

So that's what I've been working on. Beans. Apples. Tomatoes. Peppers. Basil. (I have a love affair with basil. I love the taste and smell of it. I love that when I'm done working with it, the smell lingers on my fingers. For me, it's a symbolic smell, the smell of late summer, of delicious dishes with pasta and tomatoes, of a garden full of produce and flowers.) So it's now wonder that I have a backache, but it's nothing that a good night's rest won't help. And it will be worth it on a blizzardy winter's night when I open the freezer for a taste of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment