Monday, May 10, 2010

Surviving the Cold

Hopefully all your tender plants survived this weekend's cold snap. I know that I covered as much as I could and as far as I can tell everything seems okay. Crazy Minnesota weather!

The people of Minnesota are hopeful. On Sunday many indulged in their traditional Mother's day shopping spree for bedding plants. I am happy for the nurseries, of course, but I am hoping people store their plants in a warm place since we're up for some more cold nights. Plants from the greenhouse need to be hardened off, meaning gradually exposed to the outdoors. They've been babied at the nursery. If the soil or the temps are too cold, the plants might survive, but they won't thrive.

I realize that many plants will be picked over when I finally go plant shopping, but I have started some specific varieties in my home and I am overhauling my vegetable garden, which won't be done for a while. More on this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment