Friday, January 16, 2015

Countdown to Spring: Daffodils



Mice?  Squirrels?  Deer?  No problem!  Snow?  Cold?  No problem! These amazing daffodils (otherwise known as Narcissus) stand up to whatever Minnesota throws at them. The earliest they've ever bloomed for me in Minnesota is April, but gardeners in warmer climates may see them flower earlier.  (Perhaps January in Texas...  can it be true?) Planted in the fall, daffodils come in a range of sizes and levels of frilliness. The colors range from white and yellow to pink and apricot. The ones above have a delicate flower, but an amazing fragrance and they open later than the white ones below. I'm sorry that I can't give the variety names; one I planted immediately when I moved here and lost the tags.  The other was a gift from a gardener when I was a new homeowner. I try to continue the tradition by dividing these daffodils to give as housewarming gifts. Moving in?  Let me know and I'll give you some. But you'll have to wait until the ground thaws. 





No comments:

Post a Comment