Friday, January 9, 2015

Countdown to Spring: Daylilies

Daylilies, named for the blooms that last for one day, are my new favorite perennial.  I used to stay away from them because my grandmother had some daylilies planted around the foundation of her house.  The plants had to be nearly as old as the house; they grew too well, overtaking any other plants nearby. Once the flowers were done, the leaves were tall and scraggly. They were orange, which I never minded, but at one time orange was considered unfashionable.  (I've never understood this philosophy of colors coming in and out of vogue--I just love color!) But now daylilies are bred to stay in one place.  And they come in a wide range of colors, from pale yellow to mauve to rose, and--of course--orange. Eventually I broke down and planted those old fashioned orange daylilies, and they bloom in the hottest part of summer, holding up to the blazing sun with their bright colors and strong constitutions. Daylilies will need dividing eventually; you'll know because the flowers won't bloom as profusely. Reliable. Hearty.  Colorful.  Daylilies are the perfect Minnesota beauties for every garden. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment