Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Beautiful June

This has been an amazing late spring--moderate temperatures and low humidity. These are the kind of days where all I want to spend all of my time outside. The spring flowers are lasting longer now, but heat and humidity are on the way, which is good news for the tomatoes and peppers. Above is the viburnum/native cranberry bush. Below is prairie smoke. 
This is an overexposed photo, but you get the idea---the cool weather crops are doing well. I've eaten lettuce and radishes, and I may nibble on some kale and chard soon. And I may have to thin the bok choy.
Below is an update on the front garden featuring native plants (the lupine is just beginning to bloom). I've added some plants (dianthus and chives and iris) that aren't technically prairie plants, but I think the bees will love them. I've learned to plant what the rabbits won't eat. 

These are strawberries...inside the fence. I'm not taking any chances, and soon I'll cover them with netting. These are zone five daisies that came back this year, which is a surprise. 
The mountain ash that was on the property is in full bloom--what a gorgeous tree!. 
After I wander and admire the lovely plants, I take advantage of the cooler temps to get some physical labor done. I took down the fence, dug out the encroaching grass (look how tall it is), added new mulch, and put the fence back. I slept well that night. Next year, I'll put the mulch down first. It was nice to have some help getting the fence back up so it didn't lean or sway . Thank you, darling husband.


No comments:

Post a Comment