Friday, June 24, 2022

Lawns to Legume garden update



Here are some photos of the plants in the front of the house, where I've used my designated grant money. That money has long been spent on the native plants and bee lawn seed, but officially the grant lasts three years. The bee lawn has seen better days, though the thyme has survived. Above is blanket flower. It has looked great every year. Below is purple prairie phlox, blooming for the first time. The rabbit pressure is less this year, perhaps because we have a fox in the neighborhood. 
Planted last year, the Siberian iris is not a native flower, but I like the look of the flowers and leaves. The dianthus above is not native either but works as a groundcover.
The coreopsis did well, and I planted more.
The native cranberry/viburnum is done blooming now, but look at how great it's doing this year!
The lupine had a great show of blue flower spikes. I added chives, which the bees love. I'm finding the  native flowers with reliable plants is a good mixture for a succession of blooms for bees and to keep the garden looking pretty.
And the native prairie smoke is a winner on many levels...early blooming, unique seed head, and good leaf texture. So many cool plants...I only need more space, time, and money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment