Saturday, July 22, 2023

July drought continues

We're in extreme drought conditions now, and we did have some rain (about an inch), but that soaked in quickly. The plans (above) that are doing well as the anise in the native flower area. I'm watering to keep everything alive, using rain barrel water for as long as it lasts. The dehumidifier water gets used each day. City water is pricy, and I reserve it for vegetables if needed. The purple coneflower is beginning to bloom, and I had to dig out one plant that was dying (perhaps lack of water, perhaps age, perhaps disease). The annuals I've grown from seed, as well as the transplants, are struggling, not growing to their full size. The cosmos (below) is only 12 inches high. 
I had tucked pumpkin seeds and transplants into various places, but they're struggling. We were on a short vacation (three days), and now I've lost one plant with another struggling (earlier photo below). I don't think I'm going to get pumpkins this year, even with the smaller plants and an earlier maturity date. We're supposed to get a heat wave next week, and I feel disheartened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment